Thursday

The Gift of Giving

So in class we talked about the gift giving. It's that time for santa, christmas, and gifts. I love the holiday season, but always freaking out about gift giving. It's always a shitty situation. One thing we didn't talk about in class is the awkward "Oh, you got me something? shit now i have to get you something". that has happened to me so many times amongst me and my friends. I only really get close friends gifts, but sometimes other friends who i am not so close with get me gifts as well. I never anticipate for it and therefore I have to rush to get them something... usually on sale and last minute. It's never something that I like to do. I like to put thought into my gifts, not get it because someone else got me something.

Another thing that stresses me out about gift giving is the idea of if the person likes it or not. Between me and my family, we are always honest and say "ook i like this" or "ok, no i don't like this". It makes things so much easier, and there is no front that a person has to put on. The person doesn't have to hide their true feelings and wonder "what the hell am i gonna do with this?"

For this christmas my mom is trying a new approach to the idea of gifts. My niece and nephew are both under the age of 10, and this year my mom really wants to show them what it means to give, especially during the holidays. My mom is going to donate money on behalf of my niece and nephew for charity. I feel like that is genuinely the idea of gift giving. Isn't that what the holiday season is for? It's about others. I feel like just giving a gift is not thoughtful mostly. you just feel obligated to get the person something. But for my mom's idea, you are really taking thought into someone's life and giving them an opportunity to share in the holiday spirit. my mom is trying to instill in my family that's it's not always about the materialistic things. The holiday spirits are about compassion and selflessness in such a joyous season. I like this idea. I think this is the true meaning of the holiday season.

No comments: