Thursday

De-McDonaldization

One of the ways the book talks about becoming de-mcdonalized is to do things without agenda. The book says to do things and avoid routine. However, I feel that this is hard to do. We are a society that feeds on calendars to tell us where we need to be at a specific point, and what needs to get done. We love to time manage our lives and never avoid routine. Routine makes us comfortable. It is predictable. It is what we do. It would be hard for our society to wean ourselves away from this. I know I like tokeep things routine, and the only thing I do out of routine is go downtown to do something. I do this to get away from campus. I guess this is my way of “avoiding routine”. I always feel that when I get out of routine, i.e. swim practice, eating, school, naps, etc. I feel uncomfortable. I also realized that I don’t like to be out my schedule or times of things. If I have something at 10 I want to be there at 10, not later than that. I don’t know. This is something that is so engrained in us, especially as college students, it’s hard to steer away from this. Maybe if I get older, I will be more adventurous.

No comments: