Sunday

Touching

We were talking about touch in class on Friday, and a scenario came up in my head. Women touch more softly, almost in a caring and nurturing way. Guys on the other hand tend to touch in ways that are more physical and aggressive. One such example is this guy we will call, X. X tends to hit, slap, and punch. These physical touches are not harmful in anyway, but are touches that I feel are more aggressive. I then think back to my blog before this one. I said in class that I want to punch the kid back whenever he does these things to me. This still holds true. I feel that this may have to do with my background coming from Hawaii. Women in the mainland tend to have more of a “gentle touch”. I on the other hand grew up more aggressive. If someone looked or hit me the wrong way, I would want to fight back. That was how I was brought up. This is not necessarily because of my family background, but because socially, this is what was taught to me. Over the years here at LC, these things have toned down. I dunno if I could attribute this to a more middle class way of thinking, but somehow I do. In Hawaii, there is no real barrier between lower class and middle class ways of thinking. There is a difference in Upper class, and those kids are hated on (I think that is normal everywhere). Socially, the two groups tend to think a like. In turn, I don’t always feel like it has to do with your social hierarchy, but also the environment in which you surround yourself with.

No comments: